READER’S DIGEST UNVEILS REFRESHED, MODERN LOOK AND COMPELLING READER EXPERIENCE
Recaptures Brand’s Popular Iconic Features with a View to the Future Celebrates With a Free Digital Download Promotion
MONTREAL, QC (January 16, 2014) – Reader’s Digest, one of the most read media and most trusted brands in Canada, today unveiled a new look and a greatly enhanced reader experience with the February 2014 issue, recapturing several of the magazine’s most iconic features. Reader’s Digest Magazines Canada Limited also introduced a revamped digital experience at RD.ca, which includes a new mobile-optimized website for people who enjoy Reader’s Digest content on-the-go, and a refreshed website design for the 1.3 million digital users.
To share the excitement about the redesign of the print and digital versions, Reader’s Digest is offering Canadian consumers a free digital download of the February issue for a limited time at RD.ca/free.
The redesign embraces and highlights the brand’s unique mission: to create an engaging reading experience through a curated collection of uplifting, entertaining and useful stories that enriches readers’ lives. Along with the new look, Reader’s Digest recalibrated the pace of the magazine to provide a variety of story lengths and styles. And, of course, it wouldn’t be Reader’s Digest if it didn’t share reader anecdotes, family-friendly jokes, witty one-liners and beautiful photographs that each tell stories themselves.
“We are pleased to unveil the new Reader’s Digest and introduce our millions of Canadian readers to an enhanced user experience,” said Robert Goyette, Editor-in-Chief, Reader’s Digest. “The new format is tailored to those who told us they love our content and want more of it. It’s a reflection of our commitment to make it as easy as possible for our dedicated readers to ‘Read Up’ each month.”
The redesign of the publication reflects the long-term strategy of the magazine’s publisher, Reader’s Digest Magazines Canada Limited, and is consistent with the company’s commitment to invest in its core brands. The redesign of the French Canadian publication, Sélection, will hit newsstands for the March 2014 issue.
Starting with the February issue, readers will see:
- A new logo that now puts the emphasis on the reader, literally, broadcasting the brand’s commitment to reading and highlighting whom the brand always puts first.
- A return to the iconic table of contents that graced classic covers of Reader’s Digest for decades. The cover now highlights the uniqueness of the brand with a collection of uplifting true stories, family-friendly humour, and surprising and useful information. The new cover look is collectible, timeless and reflects a careful curation of the endless amounts of material available.
- New components that blend shorter, humourous columns with longer, serious reads. It also brings more tales to make readers laugh or cry, more deep reads that motivate them to think and take action, more fun and more inspiration.
- An investment in whiter paper that is easier to read and enhances the reading experience. Reader’s Digest refined the pages’ design, introducing a more streamlined look, simpler graphics, iconic photography, and more modern illustration.
- A refreshed website that is smartphone-friendly. The brand redesign will continue on other platforms, including rd.ca and the tablet applications, which will incorporate the clean, streamlined look and feel of the new print edition. The brand new mobile-optimized site will allow readers to discover magazine content and more while on-the-go.
“Readers will now be able to enjoy an even more compelling and modern Reader’s Digest,” said Philippe Cloutier, General Manager of The Reader’s Digest Association (Canada) ULC. “This aligns with our strategy to strengthen the magazine, continuing to provide our customers with a great product. We aim to keep our readers engaged with and enthusiastic about our brands.”
** INTERVIEWS, COVER ART AND PAGES AVAILABLE **
About The Reader’s Digest Association Canada (ULC)
The Reader’s Digest Association Canada (ULC) is a leading global, multi-brand and multi-platform media company that educates, entertains and inspires, connecting audiences throughout Canada. Reader’s Digest Magazines Ltd. publishes five magazines, including Reader’s Digest and Sélection, Canada’s most-read magazines with 6.5 million readers a month; Best Health, a healthy lifestyle magazine for Canadian women; Our Canada and More of Our Canada, its companion magazine. The Reader’s Digest Association Canada (ULC) operates a network of branded websites in Canada, including readersdigest.ca, besthealthmag.ca and plaisirssante.ca.
For more, visit: RD.ca, follow Reader’s Digest on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram: @ReadersDigestCA and tag #ReadUpCanada to join the conversation.